1. Your child lights up at the first sight of her. Kids look forward to the time they spend with their nanny if she’s warm, caring, and patient. And you’re doubly in luck if it’s not just the kids who like having her around.
2. Your kids can’t stop talking about all the wonderful things she says and does. You may find a caregiver who can do everything well, but if she truly enjoys being in the company of children, your kids will know it. Her love will shine through every day she’s with your child.
3. She comes up with creative solutions to problems and works with you to provide the best possible care for your child. If your child has run out of paint, for example, she’ll find some household supplies your child can use to fashion an objet d’art. If your child isn’t sleeping, she’ll turn to you for advice and help. It shows that she takes her job seriously when she both takes initiative and collaborates with you.
4. Your child volunteers new songs and words, and shows off his many projects. The best nannies are aware of and cherish children’s curiosity. They’ll try to answer questions, elicit imaginative responses, and think up creative ways to teach new skills. And because his activities are so much fun, your child will want to display his prowess.
5. Your child’s room is clean, and so is your child. Excellent care includes cleanliness and good health. Your nanny will practice good hygiene around your child if she truly has his welfare in mind.
6. Accidents are infrequent. A good nanny makes safety a priority at home and on the road. She’ll hold your child’s hand when they cross a street on the way to the park, keep the safety gate to the kitchen closed at all times, and buckle up your child in the car seat.
Originally posted on July 2, 2006 @ 7:53 am