Toilet Training can be challenging. It doesn’t happen overnight and takes a lot of time and patience! Travelling and getting out and about whilst toilet training can be stressful, but we believe if you are well prepared and well equipped it is possible.
Here are our Top 10 Toilet Training Tips for when you are travelling and out and about
1. Preparation is the key – and try to relax and remain calm – it is a very new thing your child is learning
2. When you are starting a car trip always take your child to the toilet before you leave to help ensure the car trip is dry
3. In the car have a baby car seat cover or car seat protector so if they do wet, you can easily wash this and not have to strip the entire car seat down!
4. Wherever you are, whether it be the airport, an amusement park, the shops, always find out where your closest parents room or toilet is, so last minute ‘I need to do a wee’ screams are less stressful
5. As soon as you arrive at your destination take your child to the toilet or put them on the potty
6. Keep a travel potty with you everywhere you go, as you can use it anywhere with no mess. They are perfect for long car trips on the side of the road. Always have the liner in the potty ready to go.
7. Regularly ask or remind your child to tell you if they need to go to the toilet. I always found it better to say ‘Let’s go to the toilet’, rather than asking them ‘Do you want to go?’, as with the second question they always said no.
8. A good idea to take them again before you sit down for morning tea or lunch, otherwise the minute your food and drinks arrive will be the time you will need to rush off!.
9. Always carry spare clothes, disposable wipes, antibacterial spray and rubbish bags
10. Small rewards like stickers can help keep kids focused on their new challenge!
Image credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gemsling/2509427229/sizes/m/in/photostream/
Originally posted on April 3, 2013 @ 8:50 am