About a year ago, I posted an incident that happened to my daughter at the mall. She was wearing her pink crocs when it got caught in the escalator. After reading other incidents similar to ours, I thought for sure that the company behind crocs would have done something about it. Now, a year later, I am dismayed to read about another similar incident. This was brought to my attention by a reader, Michael. (Thanks!)
Here’s an excerpt of the article that was published on CBS4:
A child’s Crocs shoe was sucked up into an escalator at a Denver area shopping mall Wednesday afternoon. The 4-year old was not hurt, but his shoes are a little worse for wear and he was shaken up a bit.
It happened as Blake Schalk was riding down the escalator near Macy’s at Flatiron Crossing in Broomfield with his aunt and uncle, according to his family. Blake told them his shoe was getting tighter. That’s when they noticed the escalator chewing up the Crocs shoe.
Blake’s dad, Matt Schalk, told CBS4 “It was on the side of the escalator, between the wall and the escalator, not the top or the bottom.”
Blake’s aunt pulled him to safety. That’s when the escalator shut down. It was closed for 2 hours for repairs.
WOW – I just cannot imagine shoes being chewed up by “the side of the escalator.” It seems to me that aside from its aesthetics, there REALLY is something wrong with crocs!!!
Originally posted on June 3, 2008 @ 11:33 pm